Friday, August 12, 2011

Thoughts On The Week That Was

I have never been happier to watch a preseason game as I was last night. OK it was just the Broncos and Cowboys, but for the first time in a long while, the only battle fans had to concern themselves with was the one on the field and not in the courtroom. It was also a reminder that the best football is yet to come.

To me, the real preseason debut is seeing the Jets play Houston next Monday night. It’ll be Jets fans' first look at the team since the AFC Championship Game. I’m geared up to see how Wilkerson and Ellis look on the defense, but I’m especially excited to see what if any impact Tom Moore has already had on the offense. One thing I wasn’t looking forward to was seeing Plaxico Burress on the field.

Since he rolled his ankle last week, the Jets haven’t been using him much in practice. However, Rex Ryan continued to say that the plan was to have him in the preseason opener. I disagreed with this because if he wasn’t practice ready, he’s most certainly not game ready. The last thing you want during preseason is an injury to your number 2 receiver. Along with getting the team acclimated, the number one goal of preseason is to come out of it with your top players injury-free.

That’s why I was glad to learn today that Burress will not play in the game. There’s plenty of time between now and Week 1 to get healthy and ready to go. There’s no need to risk it. I’m sure Burress wants to get on the field as badly as anybody. Fortunately, it’s only one game in a season of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment